Monday, January 25, 2010

Callings....

This week I recieved a phone call that I needed to go in to see the Bishopric. I figured I would be getting released as the 14-15 year old Sunday School teacher as Jake had just been released, and this would have been our fourth year. I also wasn't really planning on a calling at the moment because, normally, Jake has gone with me and they didn't invite him this time. I was pleasantly surprised to be released! ;) I don't enjoy teaching. I feel like "how am I supposed to teach something I have no idea what I am talking about?!" I am HORRIFIED of teaching. Yes, I have heard the stories over and over, but to teach them to someone?! Ya right. And....to make things worse, have you seen the manuals in Relief Society?!!! They are only 2 maybe 3 pages long!

After he released me from my calling, he asked if I would accept a new calling to be the Relief Society teacher, every 3rd Sunday!!!! I literally started to sob. I'm not even kidding you! It was one of those cries where I could not get composure. It was awful!! I am so emabarrassed that I couldn't get it together. And then he asks me or says "I'm hoping that is a good cry?!". I said "No, I am terrified!! I don't know how to teach!!!" He sat and talked with me for a moment and I left. I am so embarrassed that I couldn't get it together, but I am horrified that I have to teach. I don't know if I just feel inadequate and that is where my feelings are coming from, but last night I tried to talk to Jake about it and literally started to cry again. My worst fear came true. I have to teach! Can't I be the baby specialist or something?!!! The funny thing is, is I was complaining a couple of weeks ago that Jake got released and I didn't and Jake told me that I would be doing it until I learned to enjoy it. Oh great.....I LOVE IT, I LOVE TEACHING!!! ;)

Trials are given to us for a reason. I need to buck up and overcome my fear. I have a great ward and on the positive side, at least it is only once a month. I hope no one goes inactive because of my teaching!!! Just kidding. It's funny because a lot of people in our ward don't go to RS because they don't understand the teacher (that I am replacing) and her personality. Great. Now, what if people don't want to come becuase of the way I teach!!! Oh man. I'm in for a ride!!

9 comments:

Shantelle said...

The only two ways I know of to get out of callings is to move or have a baby :) Of course in our last ward I was teaching RS, then we moved here (where I was excited to get a different calling,) and they called me to teach RS again! I teach all the even numbered lessons in the manual. This manual seems easy b/c it is the basic gospel principles, but they don't give you much to work with in the manual - how do you teach for 30 minutes on only 1 1/2 pages of material?! There are a couple places online that people post their teaching outlines and I use those to help me. I also bought a book from Deseret Book that a lady has written providing more ideas for each lesson. I'd love to help any way that I can. Hopefully we teach the same lessons so that we could do them together. I always stress out and would love to talk to someone about the lesson as I organize my thoughts. Call me!!!

Amy Dayton said...

I 4th Sunday instructor in my last ward. The challenge for me was coming up with a lesson outline from a Conference talk. It was very intimidating, and I found the best lessons were the ones I talked the least- The major blessing for me was studying the gospel in a way I never had. Good luck! I'm sure you will be great, I wish I could come hear your lessons :)

Thoma Lee & Ron Olsen said...

Loved your fear of teaching!! You said it like we all feel ~ I just got asked to teach R.S. too and it NEVER gets any easier!! Love you~~ (and keep up the great blog)

Melissa said...

I feel for you!! I would absolutely HATE to be a RS teacher and I teach for a living! LOL!! Put me in a room with 1000 kids and I'm fine, but adults are scary. Good luck with that.

Becker Family said...

You will be a wonderful teacher, Annalee! Hopefully you'll feel more and more comfortable the more you do it! They're going to love you because you're so down to earth and so real! I think alot of women will relate to you and enjoy your lessons. Love you!

Annie said...

Annalee, let me just tell you something. I don't like goin to gospel doctrine because I am incredibley intimidated and hardly dare to even read a scripture in front of everyone. I find the most effective teachers are those that give simple lessons that make everyone feel comfortable to ask really dumb questions. Just keep it simple, you'll be suprised how many people appreciate that!

Chelsea said...

You will do great!! It is such a scary thing getting up in front of people teaching somethign so deep, but I know you will do a great job.
Good Luck!
Once you are all done you will realize you can do it!

Teej and Jenn said...

You will do great. I LOVED teaching Relief Society in our old ward. The great thing about Relief Society is you have a lot of women that like to TALK, so they end up pretty much doing the lesson for you. Just be glad it isn't Adult Sunday School. Now that would be SCARY!! Do be scared. I would do that over nursery any day.

Shara Parker Park said...

I totally know how you feel! When I was asked to teach I wanted to vomit. Just know, everyone else in the room feels the same way about it, and they'll look at you in awe because you are doing it. I know you will be great, just take a deep breath before you start. Good luck!