Today, I went to drop Avery off to gymnastics just like any other day. I dropped her off and was headed to Walmart to pick a couple things up. As I'm leaving the parking lot, I noticed there were quite a few more cars than normal. I wondered what I was missing and IF I was missing something. I tried to pull up the website to double check and instantly received a phone call. It was one of the teachers. She was calling me wondering if I had forgotten it was performance day....HELLO....performance day?! It hadn't even crossed my mind. Avery wasn't in her correct leotard and we hadn't even talked about it. I told Crystal that I had completely spaced it and wondered if I had time to run home to get her leotard. She told me it would be over by the time I went home, so I better just come. As I'm walking inside, feeling like "the mother of the year", I noticed that Avery had changed. She was wearing someone else's leotard to match. As I'm sitting there, trying so hard to hold back tears and be the proud parent, I am feeling like the worst person ever. I could tell Avery wasn't her normal "peeformance" self. She loves to perform and loves to have the attention on her, but something was off. It was almost like she was trying to hold back tears as well. She did a great job and I WAS so proud of her, but I felt bad that her dad and grandparents couldn't be there.
After they had completed their 10 min performance, pictures were taken and Deanna, (the owner and teacher) was looking for Avery. Mind you, she is pretty straight forward, not a ton of emotion and a very strict teacher. I'm a little intimidated by her to say the least. She was pretty direct when she told Avery that she needed to change out of the leotard she was in and put on a "different" leotard that wasn't even hers and that the owner of the leotard Avery was wearing, wore Avery's home. Avery lost it. I thought I had embarrassed her and then I lost it. I told her to go change so we could get out of there as fast as possible! Avery was putting her shoes on and a cute little mom came up to her and asked her if she was the one that could do the one handed cartwheel. I of course, said "ya, she can" quickly, so we could get out of there. I guess her daughter wants to be able to do the one handed cartwheel and wanted to talk to Avery about it. I on the other hand, just wanted to get the heck out of there! I threw the kids in the car and got the heck out of there!! I was bawling. I felt like the biggest loser of a mom. I felt like I had let my child down and it was totally out of her control. Honestly, I have never felt so horrible in my life. It was a horrible feeling. I don't know that she will ever remember today. Probably not. She will have more performances, but I felt so rotten. Hopefully she won't remember and we can move on. Not my greatest moment.
oh....and my phone was full so I didn't even take any pictures. It was a bad day. :(
No comments:
Post a Comment